Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Poetry and Hooping?

It feels like a natural to me. I've been a poet for as long as I can remember, and a hooper for the past two years, thanks to the encouragement of my sister. I love books. I own a bookstore, run an independent press that focuses solely on poetry, and I teach creative writing (as a rostered poet through the PA Arts in Education Program). I spend all my free time either whirling inside a hoop or with words. Why not create an opportunity for other hooper-poets to share their work?

Through Wordpainting (an imprint of our press, Paper Kite Press), we're working toward creating a print-only anthology that readers can actually place in another's hands and say, "Read the poem on page 63. I think you might like it. But read all the others too. They are inspiring."

In the meantime, we've started a series of Hoop(poetry) posters. Do you have a hoop(oem) to share? See our submission guidelines for more information.

I believe very much in standing inside of a circle to look outward. You look out and see opportunities, make new friends,  become inspired to create. Consider this call for submissions a yawp from the center of my circle. Please write and share your poetry about hooping with us.

Cheers,
Jenny.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny! This is Yokaokojo (Trine) of http://www.hoopalooza.com

    I've been following you for a bit and have you listed on my website hoop circle (blog roll) and now I'd like to invite you sign up to a hoop dance directory that I literally just put together last night. It eventually will lead to more exposure for your site, but for now you'll probably be one of the first to sign up!

    My goal is to help hoopers and hoop businesses and the like find each other. There are other hoop lists out there, but I really want to create a searchable, comprehensive database. It will take time, but I know I can do it!

    It's free of course, but I'd appreciate some reciprocal hoop love sent my way in the form of a back link from you! Just go to my website and click on the directory signup page.

    Happy hooping!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete